Monday 26 January 2009

Choose to walk or to go by bicycle

I don't like to do some things, as everybody. And one thing that I don't like and wasn't used do to is to walk when I have to go out. I was used to take how many bus it was necessary to go everywhere and after I got a car, just use it. But I know it is not the best choice when you think about the planet, about live in a better world. And as I always try to remind here, being vegan is also to care about a better world.

So I decided to try to reduce the use of my car when I was still living in Belo Horizonte. It's not easy because it's a city in the middle of the mountains, so it's not that good to go to some places walking. But I started with small distances. And after coming to Europe I am doing it more often. In Italy, Matteo's family lives in a small town, so everybody is used to walk or use the bike. And there I started to ride a bike too. It works to me just because it is a small city, I'm afraid to ride a bike in big cities (even knowing that it's safe here because everybody respects pedestrians and cyclists). Well, I'll try it here in Dublin some day in the future because I really enjoyed to ride a bike again after so many years.


After moving to Dublin, I started to walk again. Dublin is a flat city and our house is close to the city centre. Fifteen, twenty minutes walking. I have to confess that to me it is still a long distance. But it's worth it. Now we know that there is a bus with a stop close to here that take us to the city centre too, but we try to keep walking. And as I can see, most of the people here do the same every day. We can see a lot of people walking or riding a bike to go to and come back from work. It's something cultural too. In many cities of Europe people do that. And the most important, drivers respect them. Regardless of laws, is also a matter of education.


It's awesome to see this habit here. It is healthy and environmentally sustainable. And it is easy to do. Everybody can try it. If not riding a bike, walking. Good for you, better for the planet.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Walking in Belo Horizonte is like climbing mountains. You need to prepare yourself for an adventure, a journey. You take water, food, bag and ropes. If you survive after that, there you go, you're at your friend's house, congrats! =D

But yeah, this bike thing in Europe is just awesome, although I rather walk.

All about... (vegan) food said...

The most important thing is reduce the use of car and bus, choosing walk or ride a bike as much as you can ;o)

Unknown said...

Honestly, cycling in Dublin city centre is taking your life in your hands.

I live so far from the city and from my job that getting the bus is just not an option. It's a shame. I used to get so much reading done.

All about... (vegan) food said...

Robb, if one day you see São Paulo city centre you can tell me what is taking your life in your hands or in the drivers hands. It's a caos and it's a nightmare... But I think that the worst thing in Brazil is that people don't have education. If you try to cross the street using the pedetrian lines when a car is coming, you're dead. So, you can imagine the other things...

Unknown said...

I like to walk! I hate bus! And someday I will learn how to ride a bike again! Someday....

Clarissa said...

You know what I think about it, and how I do it: I never get the bus, unless I really have to (going to Pampulha, i.e.). I'd rather ride a bike, but you know we can't in BH. So, I walk. ;) Healthy for you, for the planet.

All about... (vegan) food said...

I don't know if we can't in BH... I have some friends that already do it. But it's hard and I fell sad when I think about it... I read an article about a cyclist that was murdered in SP by a bus in Paulista Avenue and it's so sad. And to make things worsrt he was wrong and thinks he's right.

Clarissa said...

When I say we can't, I mean it because of the hot weather and the hills. It's not like you would ride your bike to work and get there in a nice shape to work...I didn't really thought of the chaotic traffic...but it's really sad.

Anonymous said...

eu quero comprar uma bicicleta!
mas agora com o lance do joelho eu não vou poder andar...
aí eu acho que vou fazer yoga...sugestão do filype queridíssimo!
eu tô devendo um email...qdo eu escrever, vai me entender!
amo!

Anelise Csapo said...

Poiszé,

Enbquanto isso...por aqui no Brasil uma ciclista acabou de ser atropelada por um ônibus em plena Av Paulista!

Por um mundo menos uga-buga!

Genial seu blog, amei!

Bjs

All about... (vegan) food said...

Guia "De Bicicleta para o Trabalho":
http://www.ta.org.br/educativos/DOCS/De_bicicleta_para_o_trabalho.pdf

Dica dos amigos do Gato Negro ;o)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin