Wednesday 20 August 2008

Everything ends in pizza!

In Brazil we have an expression when the issue is politics that says “Everything ends in pizza!” It started on sports, with a political internal fight in Palmeiras (a soccer team from São Paulo with Italian founders), during the 60s. A reporter went to the Palmeiras club office to cover the attempt of agreement between the parts, and it went on a surprising way, with both sides happy. To wrap up the agreement, everybody went to a pizzeria to celebrate. The next day, the newspaper published "Fight in Palmeiras ends in pizza." The term, by the time, have being used to refer to all the fights in political scandals and accusations because at the end everything ends up well (for them). Nowadays, the term is very popular and had replaced the other one "everything ends in samba".

Well, I have to agree that when something ends in pizza, it is really cool! Pizza is awesome. I really don’t need any reason to go out to eat pizza or to ask for a pizza at home. But, if somebody needs one, I can give you tons of reasons!!

I had heard that the best pizza ever is made in Napoli. That makes sense. South of Italy is famous for the pizza. I have never been there, but I tasted a “Napolitan” one some days ago in a pizzeria in Bologna (picture) and it was fantastic! The biggest difference I can notice between the Brazilian pizza and the Italian pizza is the bread base of the pizza and the tomato sauce. In Italy the base is thinner and vegan (in Brazil some places use eggs or milk, don’t ask me why!) and they use a lot more of tomato sauce, which makes all kinds of pizza good, including the simplest one: marinara, which is made with tomato, garlic, oregano and extra virgin olive oil.

After eating the marinara pizza, I can say I am very happy being vegan! You can ask one and add whatever you want to be put on it: anchovies, mushrooms, olives, etc. It’s awesome!! I really could eat this everyday! Ah, I almost forgot the craziest thing in Italy about pizza!! You ask one pizza for each person!! And a big one! In Brazil pizza comes like clothes. You have all kinds of sizes: individual, small, medium, large and extra-large. And you choose it considering the number of people that eat it. Here no. If you are 4, you have 4 pizzas.

The only thing I still want to do concerning the pizza theme is going to London or US to eat a margherita pizza, with vegan mozzarella. That’s like a dream and I know I will realize it, so prepare yourself to another pizza post in the future.

And this post ends in pizza! ;-)

2 comments:

Andrey Leonardo said...

I ate pizza yesterday!!!

=)

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I didn't know about this Palmeiras thing! Cool, hehe.

What can we say? Pizza 4 life. And being veggie, I could go crazy about pizza with cheese, but nah, I love vegan pizza. And not the fake cheese ones, but the vegetable ones. - drooling - =P~~~~~

Keep feeding us with your delicious infos. =D

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin